Thursday

Discussion: Should more serious-topics be dealt with in books?

I always adore books that deal with situations that can be found in today's society, and those authors that never shy away from the challenge of writing about something that could cause controversy. Some of my favourite books dealing with more difficult-topics are: 'Pretty Girl Thirteen' by Liz Coley, 'Alice Bliss' by Laura Harrington, 'Dear Dylan' by Siobhan Curham and 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green. That is, admittedly, quite a mixed-list, with 'Pretty Girl Thirteen' dealing with both dissociate identity disorder - which is a mental-illness - and sexual-abuse. 'Alice Bliss' is all about the consequences of war, but for those left behind, and what it's like for a teenager to loose an important figure in their life. 'Dear Dylan', on the other hand, takes on abuse in the home and 'The Fault in Our Stars' deals with cancer - an illness that is only whispered about - and never discussed as openly as it should be.


Serious topics are treated like they have a caution
sign next to them.
 
There is a list of problems and experiences in this world of ours that could be seen as something to be embarrassed about. Even when reading, there are only a very few number of books that dare to write about something that isn't welcome in a normal day-to-day conversation, that, when it is brought out, it's seen as unacceptable for a young person to listen to. Agreeably, I wouldn't hand a book like Coley's to anybody under fourteen(due to some extremely sensitive scenes) - but in YA, when we are growing up and life is becoming more difficult, I feel it is more important to not be scared to write about abuse, whether that is when a family-member is physically-hurting someone or it's a not-so-good relationship, as just seeing it in books means that young people can notice these things happening, and they may just be more willing to report them.  
 
Stereotypes. They may just be the bane of my existence. Anytime I hear such a sentence as, "This is so OCD" or "I am such a retard," I feel disgusted. I know this can't be helped for some people, as they rarely understand what they are saying. They don't realise that they are in fact insulting those with a mental-illness, or a disability. If young people are reading about characters who are mentally-ill, whether that's OCD, depression or schizophrenia, they suddenly realise what it feels like to suffer through them. They suddenly read all the emotions, and find a connection with the characters, and maybe, someone, anyone, will be hit by the realisation that mental-illness is not a joke. In terms of disability, I have not read one book where I have seen this conveyed. There is such a stigma surrounding mental-illness and I have no idea why this is. Books, let's make it vanish!  I can briefly remember 'Heidi' from when I was younger, and that story has stuck with me for a long time, but I've never come across a book for teens where the main character has a disability. If you don't look a certain way, or act a certain why in these-times you are mocked and ridiculed. Maybe books are the way to make sure everyone is accepted?
 
I'm not sure whether I want to start this debate, but I think it may be time to talk about sexuality. I know there are slowly more books being released that deal with LGBT(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) themes, but I have to ask, why can I only think of one author, that is well-known, that has these type of books out? I also have to ask why book covers with two males kissing on the front are banned - David Levithan's 'Two Boys Kissing' has been taken off shelves in the past due to this. What is this teaching young people? That liking the same sex is wrong? It is, isn't it? If two boys kissing cannot be seen in the fictional-world, how can it ever be accepted in the real-world? It needs to be, though, because you still hear comments such as, "He's so gay!" when walking through places such as school corridors. If you have a bisexual character, for example, and the reader can relate to them - as these people are normal too - then will we be creating a generation of people that have absolutely no problem with loving whoever you want to love.
 
We see suicides all over the news, one's that have been committed by teenagers, and you're always left asking yourself the question, "Why?" I'd love to see a book written about the aftermath of a suicide in a family, as not many people really understand the effect it can have, especially in the situation where you're feeling so low you begin to consider ending your own life. If it's written about, more people can access information that they may need! You feel less embarrassed knowing there is somebody else - even it may be a fictional-character - that has the same 'problems' as you do. Can certain topics no longer be shied away from? I think so.
 
What do you think?
Do you have any favourite books that deal with hard-hitting topics?
 
This post was in no way written to offend anyone. If any part of it has, please contact me and I will remove it if I feel it's necessary.

21 comments:

  1. I agree with every aspect of this post, especially about mental illness in fiction (or rather, lack thereof). The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath deals with a teenage girl who suffers with mental illness throughout and contemplates suicide… it's actually one of my favourite novels and I wish there were more like it. I don't actually just want more books which deal with mental illness, but more which deal with it in depth and with sensitivity; authors shouldn't shy away from the subject.

    I also agree with you over LGBT fiction… there's been an increase in this over the past few years, but it's still not seen or respected in the same way as other fiction and that needs to change.

    Brilliant post Sophie and thank you so much for writing down what we've all been thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ruby! Completely agree about the lack of mental-illness sin fiction. I really want to read The Bell Jar now; you must nag me on Twitter to go and pick that up!

      Such a great point about depth and sensitivity! If authors write it for the sake of it, I'd rather it not be on the shelf, as it's such a serious-matter!

      I think David Levithan has been a huge part of that increase! Love the increase, but you're right!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete
  2. I agree, and I will never understand why books like these get banned when they help people every second of every day. You said you wouldn't give Coley's book to anyone younger than fourteen, but personally if a younger child somehow stumbled upon a book that dealt with LGBT, mental illness, or disability, I don't think it would be a bad thing for them to read. They might be disabled and they might have a mental illness - or maybe that would occur in the future - and they would always remember the book they had read. The earlier young people learn about these things, the better, in my opinion. :)

    I can't remember if you've read Far From You by Tess Sharpe? It's one of my favourites and deals with so many controversial issues, it's worth a read. I think you'd like it.

    Great post as always, Sophie! I really enjoy your discussions and I'm glad someone finally spoke (or wrote...) about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Books are knowledge - so, why ban them when they can help someone. You can read a book on a Kindle nowadays without nobody knowing what you're doing. Young people can seek help without having to feel embarrassed!

      Great point about younger children coming across books about LGBT, mental illness, and disability. I really agree with you, as then they have an understanding and will never offend someone. It was just some of the content with sexual-abuse in Coley's book...

      I haven't read it - but I really want too! Definitely going to the top of my wish-list.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes. My nan has been mentally ill since I was 8 or 9, and so, I have had to deal with, well, how to deal with seeing her and talking to her. I have had and do what is classed as mental illness, bereavement issues (with Simran) and depression, and it's hard! I think people are too scared to write about it, and to expose it in YA.

    Pretty Girl Thirteen is something I want to read, and I think I'll be able to deal with it, as is Dear Dylan, having loved Finding Cherokee Brown.

    As Amber said above, Far From You is amazing for it, it takes on such a wide range of these sort of things. As does If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.

    Absolutely great post and I completely agree with you, Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry to hear that you've had experiences in your family and personally with some of these topics. I wish people wouldn't be scared, as those type of books could really help someone - whether that's you, or someone you know.

      I definitely think you should pick up Pretty Girl Thirteen - I think you'd love it!

      I'm going to have to add so many books to my wishlist!

      Thank you, Charli!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete
  4. YA fiction is becoming much better in this respect - disability and mental illness are dealt with more often and it is also becoming more diverse. (Although it could still be a LOT better, as the vast majority of YA characters are still white/straight/able.) Fiction is a safe space in which these topics can be discussed, helping young people to understand more about themselves and others. Reading about a character with a disability can help people to see that ableist slurs such as 'retard' are not OK to use (likewise, the word 'gay' as an insult).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand what you're saying! From the books I've seen that are being released this year, there are tougher-topics, but as you said, there should be more characters that relate to the real-world.

      What you said about fiction being a safe-space is such a great point!

      Thanks, Maya!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete
  5. I think it's a really difficult situation because everyone's experiences of mental illness are different, and it's a really sensitive topic for people who suffer from it - my experiences of it are very different to other people I know, and if the author hasn't experienced the subject they're talking about, it can be very frustrating and occasionally offensive - if they don't stick true to the illness, it's difficult and I think that's why people shy away from it - parents nowadays are also always trying to 'protect' their kids from this stuff, but I think it's SO important to write about this kind of thing to prevent that happening. These topics need to be discovered by a child when they're young and can ask questions instead of when they're older and have the disadvantage of judgement.

    If I'm honest, I much prefer it when an author KNOWS what they're talking about, and if they don't. if they do a lot of extensive research enabling them to explore that topic with sensitivity - because as well as people who might not have to deal with these issues, there will be people who can easily be offended if that topic isn't dealt with right.

    Great post, Sophie, I was just planning on writing something about this, but now that you've done it so beautifully, I don't need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orli, what an absolutely fantastic point! I can't agree with you more! I'd rather an author take on the topic with experience, rather than doing it because they feel it just needs to be discussed!

      I think sometimes, the need to 'protect' a child goes too far. They need to know what to expect in society.

      Aw, thank you, Orli!

      -Sophie:)

      Delete
  6. This post is something that I agree with 100%! People, often teenagers, are so insensitive about the remarks that they make in relation to mental illness and sexuality. I do think that exposure to these types of ideas is so important in YA, a genre that many teens read as they grow up, and hopefully with that exposure comes a better understanding for these ideas.
    Great post! This is such a fantastic thing for you to talk about! Nice job!
    Cal @ Read Books and Live Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as a teenager myself, the friends around me are so insensitive when it comes to the things you have said.

      Thank you, Cal!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete
  7. This post. I'm so happy you wrote this post. I have been wondering this too, because I have autism (well, a form of a pervasive developmental disorder) and I wish there were more books dealing with autism or at least any kind. It would be absolutely fantastic if other people read those books and they were all like: damn autism is no fun, I get why Sandra gets all panic-y or get's all emotional over such small thing.

    I do really like how they have made the LGBT book easier. It's good that that's getting more normal in the book world. I hope the other issues mentioned are dealt with more often. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post, Sophie! See, I'm one of those people who gets highly affected by what they read. If I read about illnesses or things that have happened to people, I worry about those kind of things and that they'll happen to me and my family. I do think it's good that authors write those books though, as someone who is going through something like that can read a book on that topic and it could help them out.

    I generally don't read books with people who have mental illnesses and other illnesses because like I said, I'm a sensitive reader and it generally makes me anxious to read that kind of stuff. I know it's silly, but ja :)

    I do have anxiety though and if I read a book about a character with anxiety, it makes me feel more connected :) So I think it's good for authors to write about illnesses etc so that someone with that can read it and maybe it will help them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about this the other day, (spooky) I was thinking that if I ever wrote a book I wanted to do something that's deep and meaningful and can teach young teenagers about the reals things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be telepathic! I was also thinking the same thing! There are so many books about the same thing; you should definitely began writing!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete
  10. How can do that they means more sholud write about real life serioures isssuies especial bulllying think YA books great espasl the one with this topics, I loved the fault in our stars it so beatfuil moving i am on the agger team sophie

    -http://booklol16blog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Other books that address hard topics:
    Wild Awake by Hilary T Smith -- YA contemporary mental illness (character is bipolar/manic)
    Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan James Roskos -- YA contemporary anxiety/depression/panic disorder
    Coda (and its sequel Chorus) by Emma Trevayne -- YA cyberpunk dystopia. Characters suffer from what can be called an addiction that can be fatal
    The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson -- YA contemporary character's father suffers from PTSD after serving in Iraq (American)
    The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher-- character's father who suffers from PTSD after serving in Afghanistan is framed for murder (UK)
    The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin -- YA contemporary (alt past/present, characters are in a 'reform wilderness camp', violence)
    Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara -- YA contemporary, character is extremely depressed & dealing w/ grief, electively mute at times. Other character suffers from MS in early 20s.
    Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Schmidt -- YA historical (US based) Character is depressed, isolated, sexual assault, promiscuity, abortion all dealt with
    Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay -- YA (mayyyybe NA?) contemporary -- character suffered enormous trauma, is electively mute

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love your discussion posts and I 100% agree that YA needs more books dealing with difficult issues. As you said, stories that do address hard topics often get banned or slapped with warning labels, and the most plausible way for writers to combat that is to write more. More issue books = more opportunities for young people to read them = more educated, open-minded people who won't try to ban literature when they themselves become adults. We can dream - and work to make that dream a reality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so much to say on this topic that won't fit into one comment but just know that I love this post a lot!

    Also, I think you should read: Speechless by Hannah Harrington, Saving June by Hannah Harrington, Wonder by R. J. Palacio and Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid.

    Speechless deals with consequences of our actions, revolving around an LGBT relationship. Saving June is about dealing with the suicide of her sister, Wonder is about a deformed boy going to school for the first time, and Black Heart Blue is about a disfigured twin losing her sister and having to deal with life afterwards - and so many other issues that if I mention will ruin the book.

    But yes. These are some amazing books that cover issues so well. But I agree, there needs to be more books out there that look at taboo subjects to help teens grow into empathtic adults.

    (sorry if this comes through twice, Google is being weird!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Faye!

      I'm currently reading 'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio and it's great! Will definitely look out for all those books; I haven't read any LGBT books, or ones discussing such a topic as suicide, so I'm definitely going to see if I can seek those out!

      Thank you, Faye!

      -Sophie :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment on - this blog post! I read and reply to every comment, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

See you soon!

Sophie Louise