Sunday

2013 End of Year Survey

This Survey was created by Jamie from the Perpetual Page-Turner and It looked like a lot of fun, so I decided to give it a go!
 
1. Best book you read in 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre) 
 
Just one book? I've spent so much time thinking about this question it's unbelievable, as I've definitely read some amazing books this year! I think it's between T 
 
hrone of Glass/Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, Breathe by Sarah Crossan and The Knife of Never Letting Go(Chaos Walking #1) by Patrick Ness. I also loved Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and Hidden by Marianne Curley.
 
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t? 
 
 
Resist by Sarah Crossan, which is the sequel to Breathe(and that was one of my favourite  books of 2013!). Resist seemed like it was written by a different author, and the heart of the whole story was really lost; I couldn't help but be disappointed!
  
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?  
 
Hidden by Marianne Curley; I had no idea this would become one of my favourite books of this year!
  
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? 
 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, of course!
  
5. Best series you discovered in 2013? 
 
The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness! It has brilliant writing, great characters that I literally fell-in-love with and one of the best plots. I read the whole series this year and it's one of my favourites!
  
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? 
  
Patrick Ness or Sarah J. Maas!
 
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? 
 
Definitely Pretty Girl Thirteen - this book is haunting, harrowing and shocking, and despite being a tough read in terms of topic-choice, It's unforgettable.
  
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013? 

This has to be Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. I loved it!
  
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year? 
 
I'm not sure. Probably Beautiful Creatures, which I mentioned above, because I want to be able to continue with and finish the series, so I will need a huge reminder of what happened!
  
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

The Selection by Kiera Cass - the book is also my guilty pleasure!
  
11. Most memorable character in 2013?  

Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series! She is one of my favourite female protagonists - and who wouldn't remember a teenage assassin that also loves to read?
 
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013? 

I'm trying to not put the Throne of Glass series for everything - but both Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight have the most beautiful writing-style I have ever read.
  
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?  

There were so many that changed my out-look on life this year but, I think it has to be Pretty Girl Thirteen by Liz Coley!
  
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?  

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare! I didn't LOVE City of Bones as much as most people did, but it would have been exciting to be a part of the film-casting news, and the trailer releases for the movie.
  
 15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read In 2013?   


"Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons."  
  - Throne of Glass
 
16.Shortest & longest book you read In 2013?

Shortest -Does Novella count? If so, The Prince(The Selection 0.5) by Kiera Cass which had 64 pages!
Longest - Monsters of Men(Chaos Walking #3) by Patrick Ness which had 603 pages!
  
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? 

The end of Allegiant - I think we can all admit it was quite a surprise!  
 
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc): 
 
Todd Hewitt and Viola Eade from the 'Chaos Walking Trilogy' by Patrick Ness! I loved their friendship and watching it grow; they went through a huge-amount together and their friendship was always there.
 
19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously?
 
Previously as in 2012? I'd say Allegiant by Veronica Roth, I read the first two books  in the Divergent Trilogy back in October 2012, because I thought it was a heart-breaking finale that meant something.
 
20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?

Jack from The Book Stop recommended Monument 14 to me and I really enjoyed it! Thanks, Jack!
  
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013? 
 
 
Dystopia but, also a lot of Fantasy!
 
 
22. Best 2013 debut you read? 
 
This is a tough-choice between Geek Girl by Holly Smale and The Elites by Natasha Ngan - and I'm not going to choose between them!
  
23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? 

I read both the Throne of Glass books, and Fearsome Dreamer by Laure Eve, which had such vivid worlds with intricate detail. Everything worked with those books!
  
24. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013? 
 
Geek Girl by Holly Smale and Shipwrecked by Siobhan Curham!
 
25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013? 
 
Allegiant by Veronica Roth! I don't know how anybody could read the final few chapters without crying!
  
26. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out? 

Pretty Girl Thirteen by Liz Coley needs more recognition!
  

Book Blogging/Reading Life of 2013 

 
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?  

I had to go all the way back to some posts from last year to see who's blogs I had discovered in 2012! I don't think this year has been one for finding new blogs, but instead making blogging-friends and communicating more. I've had more fun than in 2012 be a mile! I discovered The Book Stop this year, and am so happy I did as Jack is someone I'm always chatting to on Twitter!
 
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?  
  
My Pretty-Girl Thirteen Review - which you can find here.
 
3. Best discussion you had on your blog? 

I wrote a discussion post about how much Sex-content should be in YA and Teen books called 'The S Word' and it was something that I wanted to write, but felt nervous about posting!
  
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog? 

All I could think about was Ruby's Review of 'Never Let Me Go' which she posted on her blog Feed Me Books Now. Her writing is gorgeous, and her review was so professional!
  
5. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013? 

Meeting Sarah J. Maas and Siobhan Curham was amazing! I was so excited, and they were lovely! Getting my review featured in 'Finding Your Inner Cherokee Brown' was also a huge achievement, and something I'm proud of because I'm on the same page as some of my best blogging-friends.
 
  
7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)? 

When Andy Robb wrote a Guest Post for Anti-Bullying Blog Week, discussing his Coke Bottle Theory! It ended up on a school-wall in Guernsey, and I couldn't be happier about that!  

 
8. Post you wished got a little more love? 

Some of my Anti-Bullying Blog Week posts; as I worked so hard to get the week together and wanted it to make a difference. While some got loads of love, others didn't.
  
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? 
  
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 

Yes! My reading-goal was 30 books this year and currently, I've read 39 books!
  
Looking Ahead to 2014 
  
1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014? 

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Shields; I have been waiting to read this for so long!

 
 2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)? 

The next Throne of Glass book!

 
3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating? 

I have an ARC on my shelf called 'Leopold Blue' which I will be reading in 2014 - and it sounds great! 
 
4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014? 

There are no series' that I have read that are coming to an end in 2014 - probably a good-thing since I'm still recovering from Allegiant!
 
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

Finally become organised and have posts ready ahead of when they need to be published!

Sorry for the long post! It took my around two hours to write!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment on - this blog post! I read and reply to every comment, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

See you soon!

Sophie Louise